The CSA I am involved in gave me a bunch of basil this week. That can only mean one thing : Pesto!
Recipe modified from Simply Recipes
• 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
• 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
• 1/3 to 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
• 1-3 garlic cloves (1large is fine)
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Update - you can also add a TBS of whey to lacto-ferment it and help it keep longer without changing the taste.
Combine the basil in with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor. (If you are using walnuts instead of pine nuts and they are not already chopped, pulse them a few times first, before adding the basil.) Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.
Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Makes 1 cup.
Leftover almond crackers with a little fresh pesto and raw parmesan...
Toasted until just slightly melty and savored down to the last bite. Mmm....